A primary goal of Merrimack Valley Habitat for Humanity is to increase the awareness and understanding of the role that our affiliate plays in creating affordable housing within the community, one home at a time. The local press is a great supporter of our efforts to help us expand our reach and communicate our mission.
Quick Facts About Merrimack Valley Habitat for Humanity:
- Founded in 1985 as a non-profit, ecumenical-based organization.
- One of the more productive Habitat for Humanity affiliates in New England.
- Over 70 homes built and 11 homes rehabbed since 1985.
- 16 homes currently under construction or in the pipeline.
- The average home costs approximately $125,000 to build.
- Every Habitat family homeowner contributes “sweat equity” to their homes, building their homes and the homes of others.
- Habitat families purchase their homes for the out-of-pocket cost of construction with a no-interest mortgage held by Merrimack Valley Habitat.
- Habitat homeowners earn between 25% and 50% of the area median income – for a family of four, that means $22,000 – $44,000 annually.
- Habitat finances homes with a 20 – 40-year, no-interest mortgage.
We need the support of the community in 3 primary ways:
As a member of the media, you can help us deliver on our mission by covering our projects, our events and helping us raise awareness of the real, local need for safe and affordable housing that is right here in the Merrimack Valley.
2014 Press Coverage
Watch the video of the tour: