A brief timeline of Convent to Condos:
- 1908 – Built for the Sisters of Charity who founded the nearby St Patrick School (now the Lawrence Catholic Academy)
- June 2008 – 3-story brick building purchased by MVHH from Archdiocese of Boston
- May 2010 – Permitting in place, construction starts
- October 2010 – Merrimack Valley Habitat for Humanity names 100 Parker Street project The Bixby Building in honor of Margot and George Bixby, founders of our local affiliate
- April 2012 – New roof installed keeping the look and feel of the antique slate roof
- October 2012 – Through the benevolence of a generous donor, all new windows are installed.
- Framing of the units begins and the homes begin to take shape
- Units are adopted by a variety of organizations and businesses to carry the cost of critical unanticipated construction – including sub-contractors and the unforeseen surprises for the overall renovation
- 2014 Veterans organize to support efforts at the Bixby Building for our first Veteran Buddy Build
- 2015 Greater Lawrence Technical School comes on-board to support the necessary HVAC needs and the framing and electrical of two units
- The end is in site and the dedication is held May 7, 2016
- Over 125,000 volunteer hours contributed to the successful completion of The Bixby Building
This exciting project has a total development cost of approximately $1.7m. It has been funded entirely through grants and donations, including the support of several generous foundations and municipal funding sources, leadership donors, and thousands of individual donations, as well as donated materials and services. Funding has included a HOME grant as well as a Federal Home Loan Bank AHP subsidy.
We would like to thank our generous donors that have made this project possible. Please click here to learn more about them and the good work they do.
Adopt a Unit
A huge thank you to the businesses and organizations who adopted units and pushed us towards the finish line…
Our first successful effort in engaging the Veteran community started with a Veteran Buddy Build at The Bixby Building – in preparation for our first Veteran Build at 124-126 Phillips Street.
To support our mission of building strength, stability and self-reliance through shelter – please join our efforts on our next build, at our ReStore or on a committee by donating your time, talent or treasure. Contact us at email@example.com.